Friday, September 11, 2015

Autumn

As I write these words - the morning temperature is 84*F. – and in a few hours, the temperature will be well into the 90’s. September days like these make it hard to believe that the summer season is almost gone. I would like to see the summer stay a bit longer, but God has other plans.
 
How wonderful are all the earth’s seasons. They bring us to a deeper awareness – an awareness of nature’s wondrous cycle of life and death. If we are open to it, we will notice the cycles of the seasons mirrored in our own lives, in our disappointments, our struggles, and our triumphs. These cycles also mirror the dying and rising of Our Lord.

Soon we will be entering the colorful and transitional season of autumn - the season of cool early mornings, cloudless skies, and nights that fade like a softly sung hymn. This is the season of apple picking, pumpkins, the smell of burning leaves and wood smoke - crows, cardinals, jays, hawks – the Feast of St. Francis, All Saints Day - and scary Halloween.  Author Lee Maynard says “I loved autumn, the one season of the year that God seemed to have put there just for the beauty of it.” I must agree with Mr. Maynard - Autumn is my favorite time of year.

“Autumn is really the best of the seasons; and I'm not sure that old age isn't the best part of life. But of course, like autumn, it doesn't last.”
―C. S. Lewis

This autumn season has special meaning for me - as I will be celebrating two important events. This October I begin my 60th year on God’s good earth. I must admit that, these days before I turn 60, this is a little harder than all those other birthdays. Still, I realize there is a call within this birthday that seems to be of the Spirit – I am invited to look at my life and focus anew. My godson Simon answered the call of Christ. This October he will enter St. Mary’s “Benedictine” Abbey in Newark as a postulant. I pray for Simon as he transitions into the Benedictine life.


The undulating wood slopes down to the rhythm of mountain streams. To me this rhythm is revealing You, the Primordial Word. How remarkable is Your silence.”   From the poem “The Stream” – by Karol Wojtyla, St. Pope John Paul II


I find autumn to be the perfect season to escape into silence - to make a retreat - to find a quiet place to seek God, to hear God, in solitude, in stillness, in the beauty of nature. Blessed Mother Teresa said “In the Silence of the Heart, God speaks.” Many of us find it difficult if not impossible to “get away.” We are all so busy. Still, why not head to your local park. My favorite park is Brookdale. Even here, the wonders of the autumn season fill our eyes with beauty, our hearts with wonder, and our lips with prayers of praise of our God. (Bring your camera – it will cause you to look even deeper into the Divine art of God)

 I hope are inspired to seek God in his Creation - to see Him reflected in all its beauties.

Your friend in Christ,

Deacon Brian


No comments: