Monday, January 13, 2014

Just Say Hello in There

My wife and I married in 1977 - humble beginnings - honeymoon weekend in the Poconos - at home we had - no couch - just a bed on the floor, no box spring - small b/w TV, stereo (does anybody use the word stereo any more?), and all my records, hundreds of records, 45s, LP's.. I still have them all. Back then, a favorite of ours was Bette Midler. Her "Divine Miss M." album.

Bette Midler sings an beautiful rendition of John Prine's "Hello in there." She has made the song her own. I can remember playing it over and over again. Now the song has taken on a deeper meaning to me. Blessed Mother Teresa said the worst poverty in the west was not hunger - it was loneliness, being unloved. Too many of God's children are lonely - in nursing homes, hospitals - living at home while their children live in far off places - the old people - they long for you and me to visit them, to listen to them, to just say "hello in there."


No comments: