Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Frozen in Time


Here is an old picture I took some years ago - of pretty white flowers. I removed the color - then changed the image into a watercolor (or something resembling a watercolor). The flowers seem cold - "frozen in time." They are still beautiful, but now - lost. 

So many of our brothers and sisters, are "frozen in time." Homeless - they live on the streets, moving from one place to another - sleeping under sheets of cardboard on old church steps, hiding under bushes in county parks - afraid to find warmth in the shelters - where the violence only adds to their misery. They seek warmth in Newark's Penn Station, where they are allowed to enter in the late of the evening - having to stand, not allowed to sit or lay down, until the early morning - then moved back into the cold. Some have train passes - they find warmth in the rail car, back and forth - all night long - between Newark and New York. 

The human heart can be frozen. Sometimes we just don't see the suffering. We look the other way - we cross the street. Jesus said "what you have done to the least of my brothers, you have done to me." That brother - that sister - sleeping on the bench - on the soup line - that is Jesus in His most distressing disguise. I think we need to be reminded of that reality, over and over again.    

Jesus, open my eyes - heal me of my blindness - help me - teach me - let me see that my suffering brother, my suffering sister, is You.

 

No comments: