Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Be Not Afraid



This month of August marks the 100th year of Blessed Teresa's birth. This is a perfect time to reflect on her life, her tireless work for Jesus. What can we learn from Teresa? What is Jesus saying to us by raising a saint such as this? A modern saint - not one in the book of saints from so many centuries ago - but a saint many of us have met in the flesh.

Today I reflect on Teresa's trust in God. Do you remember the words of our beloved Pope John Paul II - standing on the balcony at the Vatican - "Be not afraid"? Mother Teresa understood these words from the very beginning. Her faith gave her the strength to leave a comfortable life as a school principal in the Loreto order and enter the streets of Calcutta - all alone. We too can leave our comfort zone and reach out to Jesus in His most distressing disguise. It is faith that gives us strength, and the embracing of our Christian hope.

We must pray. Many of us are living the busy life of work and family responsibility. Some say they have no time to pray. But prayer is essential if one is to have faith.

Let us reflect today on our prayer life, our trust, and our faith.

Dear Jesus,
Help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go.
Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love.
Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine.
Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul.
Let them look up and see no longer me but only Jesus.
Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as You shine, so to shine as to be a light to others.

No comments: