Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Deacon Jack Sullivan Will Proclaim the Gospel at Cardinal John Newman's Beatification


I grabbed this article out of Catholic Online, written by Deacon Keith Fournier. The beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman is exciting news - especially for my dear friend, Sister Thomas Moore, MC. !

CHESAPEAKE, VA. - Because of my deep admiration for John Henry Cardinal Newman, and my conviction that the move of our Anglican friends into the full communion of the Church is a part of a prophetic plan for the coming full communion of Christ's Church, I follow with great interest the visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the United Kingdom. I have also followed the cause of John Henry Cardinal Newman. He is one of my heroes!

I rejoiced when the "Congregation for the Causes of Saints" confirmed the miracle attributed to Cardinal John Henry Newman, the healing of a severe spinal disorder suffered by Deacon Jack Sullivan from the Archdiocese of Boston. I identify with Deacon Jack for several reasons. I was born and raised in Boston, I love his plain spoken manner, I believe in miracles, I am a great admirer of Cardinal Newman, I am a deacon and I believe that this trip to the United Kingdom by Benedict, the Pope of Christian Unity, is prophetic.

In speaking of the miracle Deacon Sullivan told the London Times: "If it wasn't for Cardinal Newman's intercession . it would have been virtually impossible to complete my diaconate formation and be ordained for the Archdiocese of Boston...Nor would I have been able to continue in my chosen profession as a magistrate in our court system to support my family." He insisted that said he has developed "a very deep sense of the reality of God's love for each one of us, especially during times of immense difficulties and suffering....I have developed a very real relationship with Cardinal Newman in frequent prayer and I try to pass on what marvelous gifts I have received to those I meet."


The approval of the miracle constituted the final step before Pope Benedict XVI could proceed with the beatification of the beloved Anglican convert and British Cardinal. One more miracle will be required in the process leading to canonization. I have no doubt it will occur. I believe that Cardinal Newman's prayers have been a part of the historic movement which led to the Anglican Ordinariates and the release of the Apostolic Constitution.

John "Jack" Sullivan, 70, is a brother deacon and fellow lawyer. He experienced a miracle assisted through the intercessory prayer of John Henry Cardinal Newman. He shared his story at Arnold Hall Conference Center. In years past, before my ordination, I attended several retreats there with Opus Dei. However, Opus Dei has no place for Deacons.

It seems that when the founder of "the work" (the popular term for Opus Dei) my lawyer friend (St Escriva was a lawyer) and inspiration, founded the work, there were no permanent deacons. So, my ordination fifteen years ago was a crossroads concerning my participation in Opus Dei. Perhaps some day the leaders of the work will reconsider the role of Deacons. I know that their founder has a great place in his heart for them. After all, he is still alive in Christ, a part of that great cloud of witnesses, the communion of Saints. I know this is true because he is one of my greatest intercessors and teachers.

My good friend of many years, Fr C John McCloskey III, a Newman scholar, had hosted a series of programs for EWTN on Cardinal Newman in 2000. At the end of the program wherin Father CJ interviewed Fr Ian Ker, a Newman biographer from Oxford, he put a message on the television screen that read: "If you receive any favors from Cardinal Newman, please contact the Birmingham Oratory in England." The Oratory is where Newman lived and died.

Jack Sullivan, not yet ordained, was watching EWTN that night. He prayed and asked for the intercession of the good Cardinal. He had been in formation to be ordained to the Order of Deacon for the Archdiocese of Boston. He had just finished his second year. However, he had experienced a terrible injury which threatened his fulfilling his vocation. He had awakened one day with intense pain in his legs, nearly unable to even walk.

Read the rest of the story HERE

No comments: