Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Saying Grace by Norman Rockwell

Saying Grace


Today is Norman Rockwell's birthday. Rockwell was born on February 3, 1894. A few years ago, on a road trip through Vermont, my wife and I stopped at his studio - now an inn - in Arlington. There was nothing much there to see, but I did enjoy being there - where this wonderful painter did much of his work. I read that Rockwell was raised Episcopal, but after his teen years, he was not much of a churchgoer. His faith must have had some importance in his life - how else could he have created such a beautiful painting.

1 comment:

Manaus said...

I recently picked up a beautiful Rockwell retrospective for a dollar at the local library withdrawn section. I've been sitting down with my 5 year old son and we look at the paintings: I encourage him to make up stories for them. Rockwell is underrated by the art intelligensia I think, who consider him too lowbrow - but I've always had a special place in my heart for his stuff - so American.