Wednesday, February 24, 2010

If You Seek


Song: If You Seek …
by Thomas Merton

If you seek a heavenly light
I, Solitude, am your professor!

I go before you into emptiness,
Raise strange suns for your new mornings,
Opening the windows
Of your innermost apartment.

When I, loneliness, give my special signal
Follow my silence, follow where I beckon!
Fear not, little beast, little spirit
(Thou word and animal)
I, Solitude, am angel
And have prayed in your name.

Look at the empty, wealthy night
The pilgrim moon!
I am the appointed hour,
The “now” that cuts
Time like a blade.

I am the unexpected flash
Beyond “yes,” beyond “no,”
The forerunner of the Word of God.

Follow my ways and I will lead you
To golden-haired suns,
Logos and music, blameless joys,
Innocent of questions
And beyond answers:
For I, Solitude, am thine own self:
I, Nothingness, am thy All.
I, Silence, am thy Amen!

2 comments:

Gabriella said...

I'm so glad you posted these beautiful words by Merton - we need to be reminded often that He is "... the unexpected flash
Beyond “yes,” beyond “no,”
The forerunner of the Word of God".

I'm sure you're getting more and more excited as your special day gets closer :)

Brian said...

Thank you Gabriella!

Yes - Acolyte installation in Monday evening... thank you for keeping me in your prayers! I will forward you some photos from the event!

God bless..