Sunday, November 15, 2009

Johnny Mercer's Moon River


I know, this post is a bit out of the ordinary. This afternoon, while driving in my car, I was listening to The Sunday Show with Jonathan Schwartz on FM radio. Mr. Schwartz is always very interesting. He not only plays some great music i.e. Carly Simon to Sinatra, but he knows the history behind all the songs. Lately he has been playing a lot of Johnny Mercer music. Mr. Mercer was one of the best lyricists this country ever produced. I am sure you have heard and know many of his songs. This year of 2009 is the 100th year of Mr. Mercer's birth. One of his most popular songs is "Moon River." Music by Henry Mancini. Andy Williams had a BIG hit with this song back in 1961. My parents were big fans of Andy Williams - and I remember my dad playing "Moon River" over and over again. (When you only own a few records, you tend to play them - over and over...) I know you are all familiar with this song.

Have you ever really listened to the lyrics? They are simple - yet - very powerful. Listen to Andy Williams - and listen to the words. I printed them below.



Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

No comments: