Monday, September 21, 2009

Let Nothing Disturb Thee

Summer is at an end. Nights here in New Jersey are becoming cooler. This past weekend the skies were clear and steel blue, much like a Colorado sky. The green leaves are just beginning to turn color. My evening theology classes have begun. I am a bit nervous. I feel this way at the beginning of every semester. With a long commute to New York, a long work day - will I have the strength, the stamina to do the work? I know I can not rely on myself. I must place all these worries and concerns in God's hands, and not let them disturb me.

I dream that one evening long ago, late at night in the cloister, St. Teresa of Jesus was having thoughts very much like my own. Gently, she picked up a quill, and began to write softly in her breviary:


Let nothing disturb thee;
Let nothing dismay thee;
All things pass:
God never changes.
Patience attains
All that it strives for.
He who has God
Lacks for nothing:
God alone suffices.

1 comment:

Gabriella said...

I always keep these words in my purse and they are with me all the time :)

You'll make it Brian! Simply because your evening theology classes will bear much fruit :)