Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sister Candace Introcaso, CDP. The First Nun to be named on a Topps Baseball Card!



Sister Candace Introcaso, a Sister of Divine Providence, and president of Pittsburgh’s La Roche College, “becoming the first ever college president, not to mention the first nun, to be named on a Topps baseball card.”

When I was a boy growing up in the city, baseball cards were a big part of my life. My friends and I collected them, traded them, and played games with them. Now some of those cards I owned way back when are worth a fortune. When we moved into our present home thirty two years ago, I brought a box of those old cards with me and stored them in the attic. I have been looking for them for years. I haven't found them yet. If I do, I think I will be able to retire. I would advise all of you to get your hands on this "first nun" card. In fifty years, who know's how much it will be worth!

Here is the article out of the "Chronicle of Higher Education."

The Baseball Player and the Nun

Some things were simply meant to be, and some were meant to be for only a couple years. Such is the case with Adam LaRoche, the ballplayer whom the Pittsburgh Pirates traded last week to the Boston Red Sox.

Pittsburgh is home not only to the Pirates, but to the Roman Catholic La Roche College, and Adam LaRoche's arrival in 2007 as the club's first baseman could only be described as a divine convergence.

"Adam LaRoche’s tenure with the Pittsburgh Pirates was in large measure responsible for Sister Candace Introcaso, president of La Roche College, becoming the first ever college president, not to mention the first nun, to be named on a Topps baseball card," we learned from Ken Service, vice president for institutional relations at La Roche (the college, not the first baseman). Services sources for his claim are unimpeachable: "I have asked my nephew, two neighbors, and a Girl Scout who came by selling cookies."

Last year Sister Introcaso tossed out the first pitch on "Adam LaRoche Bobblehead Night" at Steel City’s PNC Park, an event recorded on LaRoche's Topps baseball card, No. 633.

But LaRoche (the southpaw player) is part of Pittsburgh history now, and La Roche College can only lament the loss of what was, and what might have been. On Saturday, LaRoche knocked in a two-run homer in his Red Sox debut, just three days after his trade.



Link

1 comment:

Anne said...

What a great, great story! All nuns and priests should have their own card shouldn't they? A call story and maybe a favorite prayer would be such an inspiration for children to collect and learn about real life faith role models!