Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Remembering...



View from Hamilton Park, Weehawken, NJ - What a view!
Only a few blocks from my childhood home. I was a lucky kid!


When I decided to enter the blogging world, I gave a lot of thought to the title. Thank God for Thomas Merton. "A Book of Everything" was his idea. I'm glad I used this title as it gives me the ability and right to go off on a tangent, every now and then. Yesterday, here in New Jersey, the temperature topped 90*F. The hot summer weather reminds me of my childhood, growing up in Union City, NJ in the 1960's. My parents, brother and I lived in a two family house in the city, next to a parking lot. Our apartment was on the second floor. The roof was tar, so, in the summer - it was HOT! We had one air conditioner which was in the living room. My mother tacked a sheet to the doorway, mattress on the floor. The living room was the only cool room -the others were like an oven.

My parents didn't have much money, so we did not go on many, if any, long vacations. Summer time was in the city. In the morning, when it was bit cooler, I would go downstairs onto the stoop and sit on the milkbox. YES - we had delivered milk.

Sunday's were special in the summer. Maybe twice a month, my parents, some neighbors, and maybe some relatives would pack up the car and take a drive to Requa Lake in Monsey, New York. We would set up picnic tables by a stream. My mom would make breakfast, eggs - bacon. Then off to the lake. For me, this day was heaven.
On one end of the lake was an open dance hall - with a juke box. I remember all the hits - Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" was played over and over again. Tommy James' "Crystal Blue Persuasion"..... On the way home we always stopped at the Home Made Ice cream parlor in Palisades Park. My favorite - The Chocolate Malt!

Time for me to go to work. Here is a video of a favorite song of mine..from those good old days...


2 comments:

~ Judy ~ said...

Thanks for the song.
Yours is one of the most interesting sidebars I have ever encountered on a blog!

Brian said...

Thank you Judy!!

God bless!