Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pete Seeger, The Children Need You Now!

Sitting here at night I wonder - what should I post? This time of day I am so tired, not thinking too clearly - too much anxiety lately, this out-of-control government, the assaults on human life - most especially the unborn. It is a constant battle everyday - just trying to WAKE PEOPLE UP! To save lives..

When I was young, I was immersed in music - I had so many heroes. Crosby Stills and Nash, Neil Young, and that crazy Grace Slick.
They sang about love and freedom. These were the days when we opened up the albums and read all the words. I believed every word. Those rock stars wanted us to break the chains. Remember Mama Cass singing "Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be"?

OK, here's my point. Where are all my heroes now...Why aren't they screaming freedom now. Freedom!! Every child deserves to be free! The born and the unborn.

Pete Seeger has been involved with almost every civil rights issue since the 1930's. And God bless him for all his good work. But why isn't he standing up and singing now - for the unborn? Certainly this civil rights issue is the most important of our time. Pete Seeger - we need you NOW!

One of my favorite performers is Richie Havens. I saw Richie perform a few times. I brought my son with me once when he was very young. He didn't know what to think of this man with the long beard and the long robe. Now my son is a big Havens fan.

Here is Richie playing "Freedom" at Woodstock - 1969. Yes, a long time ago. The story goes that Richie did not know what to play - so he made up the song right on the spot. It is a powerful song. Listen to the words, think of all the children who are crying out for FREEDOM! Free the children...

No comments: