Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday evening muse



Arturo "Thunder" Gatti
Prizefighter
April 15, 1972 – July 11, 2009


As I get ready to bed down for the night, I need to reflect on today’s events. Today began as most Sunday’s do – up at 6am, shower, a nice cup of Mary’s coffee, ready to drive to the city and begin my work with the mc sisters. But this morning was melancholy; my daughter called me last night to give me the bad news. Arturo “Thunder” Gatti, the well known prizefighter, was found dead in a hotel room in Brazil. Today I hear the Brazilian authorities are charging his wife with murder. How sad is that. I was privileged to meet Arturo Gatti about ten years ago, in a restaurant owned by a friend. My childhood friend was Gatti’s manager. All of us friends who grew up together attended Gatti’s fights in Atlantic City. I am not a boxing enthusiast, but I have to say, it was very exciting. This fighter had heart. Now so many hearts are broken, a life cut short.

In a recent post, I pictured a nest of baby robins resting in a forsythia bush in my back yard. Well today, my dog Shelby and my son’s dog Jasper decided to take a run in the yard. One of the baby robins was startled and tried to fly. Being much too young for flight, the bird fell down to the grass. Still, she was able to hop-fly very fast. Keeping the dogs at bay, I tried to catch the bird. Alas, the bird was gone. She went through a fence into a neighbor’s wooded yard. It is so sad. The baby will never survive. I know the mother and father were in the trees watching. What did they think of me?

Psalm 90

We have come out of the Earth
and to the Earth we return
Our lives are but a flash in the light of Eternity.
We are like beautiful flowers which live only a day.
We might live 70 years—more if our strength holds.
So much work and hardship!
How quickly the time passes.

Teach us then, to value our days
to treat each one as a sacred trust.
Fill our hearts with wisdom.
and a love for our lives.
In spite of all the grief and suffering
May we be always glad of this precious gift
And hallow the good in each day.

No comments: