Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Busy, Busy Martha



"Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me." The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need for only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." Luke 10:38-42

I think this Gospel passage strikes home for many of us. Are we not so busy with so many things? Sometimes we are so busy we block out the words the Lord wants us to hear. I know this is the truth in my life. A busy commute every day back and forth to New York City - it can numb the mind. I am now in Lake Placid, New York, in the midst of the high peaks - in the Adirondack Mountains. Yesterday my wife and I hiked to the top of Whiteface Mountain (well, some hiking, some driving). At the top of the mountain it is so quiet - all you hear is the wind. Jesus says that Mary had chose the better part. Jesus wants us to find that quiet place - to be still - to listen - to choose the better part. This is what I will do today.

4 comments:

Gabriella said...

Beautiful :)

Please pray for me ...

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Sadly in this frenetic world we've created it is not always easy to stop, take time, and listen to God.

Anne said...

How wonderful to be hiking in the mountains, I could use a retreat like that!

Anne said...

P.S. In case you missed this on my taffy pull post, I am copying it here...Brian, prayers for you definitely! How fabulous that you are preparing for the Diaconate. It is so beautiful to give your life to God in this way and you are a strong witness to your faith and an inspiration to others. I know the preparation is no small task, so thank you for being allowing God to use you in this way!

(the word verification is disese-makes me think of diocese which you will soon be serving in a very special way!)