Saturday, June 6, 2009

Trinity Sunday



The icon of the Trinity was painted around 1410 by Andrei Rublev It depicts the three angels who visited Abraham at the Oak of Mamre - but is often interpreted as an icon of the Trinity. It is sometimes called the icon of the Old Testament Trinity. The image is full of symbolism - designed to take the viewer into the Mystery of the Trinity.


This is the Church of my childhood - Holy Family Church in Union City, New Jersey. The Parish was founded in 1857, the Church erected in 1868. The grammar school, my Alma Mater, was built in 1872. Back in the 60's, most of the teachers where Franciscan Missionary Sisters, good teachers of the Faith. In this Church I was Baptized, received First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. And so it is here where I first made the Sign of the Cross - "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". In this old city Parish, with the good sisters guidance, the Truth was revealed to me - God is Trinity.

When we are children, we proclaim the Trinity often in gesture, but without any real sense of significance or implication. As one grows older, there is a need to think about things - to comtemplate, to meditate - on Heavenly things - who is God? - who is Father, Son, Spirit?

The first sentence of Pope Benedict's Encyclical Letter, "Deus Caritas Est", is from the First Letter of John “God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him”(1 Jn 4:16). God is Love. Three Divine Persons, A Community of Love. The Father loves the Son, the Son loves the Father, so proceeds the Holy Spirit. If we are made in the image of God, then we are called to be a community - with each other - to love each other, to share with each other. Let us medidate on this awesome Mystery today, let us abide in Love.

Prayer to the Holy Trinity

Glory be to the Father,
Who by His almighty power and love created me,
making me in the image and likeness of God.

Glory be to the Son,
Who by His Precious Blood delivered me from hell,
and opened for me the gates of heaven.

Glory be to the Holy Spirit,
Who has sanctified me in the sacrament of Baptism,
and continues to sanctify me
by the graces I receive daily from His bounty.

Glory be to the Three adorable Persons of the Holy Trinity,
now and forever.

Amen.

No comments: